Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sa Pa

Two Christmases ago, Joe and I ate a Vietnamese-French fusion restaurant in NYC with my friend Dan.  The place was called Sapa.  What I didn't know was that it was named after our next destination. 
 
Sa Pa is a mountainous town, an 8 hour train ride and a 1 hour bus ride away from Hanoi.  The people here look like Eskimo/ Inuit versions of Vietnamese people, with high cheek bones and different clothing.  It's mostly an agricultural area, we'll soon find out what exactly they farm here.  Surprisingly, they run electricity all the way up here.  The mountains are really steep and on the way here the fog was thick.  I had slight reservations that the bus driver couldn't see the road, but figured he had driven in these conditions many times before, there really shouldn't be too much to worry about.  Once we got higher in elevation, the fog started to lift and we discovered we were high in the mountains.  It looked so awesome.  I will be sure to take lots of pictures to share.
 
We've lost track of time here, we just figured out that it's already Thursday.  It seems as though only 2 long days have past in real time though.  We travel at night and sight-see during the day and it seems like we eat every few hours.  My dad always wants to stop for a meal, but we feel like we are overfed.
 
The weather in the north is cold and rainy.  Probably temps in the 40's during the day and night.  No one here uses heat, rooms have a/c units and we just turn them up as high as they'll go.  We're anxious to return to the south where it was warm and humid. 
 
Sa Pa is around 22 degrees north, the most north we'll go.  Ho Chi Minh is around 10.5 degrees north, the most south we'll be.


Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I released all of your weekly reports and the Winter Campaign report, and I'm pretty sure I didn't screw anything up which is nice. I also processed the tail end of the Fall Campaign scrub, and today managed to get the Q4 incentive workbooks out to the field.

The new organizational hierarchy was announced today. Some surprises there.

Yesterday was cold. REAL cold. Today is a bit nicer though.

Last night I saw Rush Hour 3. I will never get that hour and a half of my life back. Oh, I noticed there's a crack on my car windshield yesterday. I can't remember if that's covered by my insurance so I'll have to check that out. Hopefully it won't get too bigger.

Heath Ledger died. What's that about? I really liked him as an actor, but now it's going to be tough to suspend reality when I watch the next Batman movie.

That's about it. I see you're really having fun. Please come home safe!

Mike