Saturday, February 2, 2008

A frog, a squid, an eel, a turtle and ALMOST a snake

Aside from Nha Trang, we ate some different things during our trip. Our first day here Joe ordered frog satay and I had a hunch then that we would be eating some exciting things.
Clams at Halong Bay that aren't available at home. Squid that was a lot thicker than anything I've ever had before. And ... A turtle. I wanted to try turtle just to try it and know what it was all about. I got to pick him out of the tank and everything. i was excited and then when it came to the table I felt bad. And then when I saw the head and feet I got scared. But both Joe and I ate it, thought it was pretty good although it leaves a sticky aftertaste in your mouth. Joe made me have the head since I was responsible for the poor guy's death.
And then there's the snake. Our last night here and my dad took us to a place where we could order the scary stuff. This is the same place we had turtle. I had wanted to also try snake (why not, right?) and had one brought out in a bag and weighed and everything. But my dad was scared of snake, my dad had already ordered 4 other things and the dinner was getting expensive. The waitstaff told us we would never be able to eat it all. So the snake was spared from the Sophie guillotine. I was willing to try it once and know what the fuss was all about. You can't say I'm a picky eater.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: